My parents came for a visit! Yay!
However, we are having some confusion with names. The boys have come up with their own way of handling this, though. We have Mommy and Daddy, of course. Easy and obvious. But, things get a little hairier when it comes to grandparents. My huband and I didn't have the foresight to give their grandmothers different nicknames. They're both Grandma. There's only one Grandpa, so that, at least, is clear.
Each of the boys has their own system. The Bean calls my mother-in-law, who lives with us, "Grandma-Who-Lives-With-Us." Ok. Easy enough. My mom became, "Grandpa's Grandma." Because she belongs to my dad, not because she's actually my dad's Grandma. We can't stop laughing over this. Every time the Bean says it, I giggle a little, because it just sounds so funny, and confusing. My poor mom just got aged two generations!
The Little One has his own strategy for their names, and it's just as funny. My mother-in-law is "Grandma-Who-Goes-With-Us." My mom is "Grandma-Who-Goes-With-Grandpa." It feels very Native American. I sort of wonder if he could come up with names like for all of us? Who would I get to be? Doubtless, if I asked, he'd stare at me as though I was crazy and wonder why we'd need long silly names like that when there is clearly only one Mommy and one Daddy.
No comments:
Post a Comment