My children love to do art projects. They really, really love them. It's wonderful - all this creativity and fine motor skill development! I feel like such a good mom when they are happily engaged in some kind of project.
It's also messy, so sometimes, I just tell myself that this is why we pay for them to go to preschool two mornings a week, and I tell them to go find their trains or trucks, or anything that I don't have to wash off of them when they're done. And just to be clear, "art project" does not include coloring. That's not a project, apparently. The Bean knows about this stuff and has advised me accordingly. At school, they can paint, cut, and glue to their hearts' content and someone else has to clean up the floors, walls, ceiling, and at least nominally, the kid. The boys have specifically designated school clothes that are permanently paint-stained, so I don't worry too much about the kid part of the clean up.
The boys are SUPER excited about Easter coming up! We're doing Easter-themed art projects and playing with the 187,000 plastic eggs rolling around the house. So, I'm getting tired of hiding plastic Easter eggs. It's a fun game, but a person can only find so many hiding spots no more than three feet off the floor before the kids start finding the things too fast. I suggest a new, cool project. I take out the paint. My kids are so excited to see that little tray of watercolors and the cups of clean water and brushes! I give them sheets of construction paper and set them up on the patio to paint.
(If you rarely give your kids paint, when you do, it will occupy them for an hour, at least. Yay!)
Now, I'm trying to decide how to turn this into an Easter project. Then, I have a brainstorm. I cut baskets out of brown paper and cut up the watercolored papers into eggs...voila!
The boys are thrilled, and I'm feeling pretty clever! Win-win!
In case you want to try this:
1. Paint construction paper with watercolors. The more paint the better.
2. Cut basket out of a full sheet of paper. Make sure you leave space for the eggs to be glued on.
3. After the watercolor papers have dried, cut them up into eggs and glue into the basket.


No comments:
Post a Comment