On a recent Saturday, my husband and I were meeting friends
for a late dinner and night out. We’d
been out with the boys all afternoon at a birthday party, and got home with an
hour to get ourselves changed and feed the boys. My husband, wonderful man that he is, says,
“Go on and start getting ready. I’ll
feed the boys.”
“Okay,” I say. “Cheese
ravioli for the Bean. The Little One wants
peanut butter and jelly.”
He nods in response and as I’m walking out of the kitchen, I
realize I’d better give my husband some pointers about the Little One’s
PB&J. He’s very particular.
“Um…about that sandwich…
he wants it cut into train shapes (we have a cutter for this). And, when you make it, cut the bread into the
train shapes before you make the sandwich, otherwise the filling will ooze and
he won’t eat it.”
My husband is now looking at me like I’ve started speaking
Mandarin. “What, now? Wouldn’t it be
easier to make the sandwich, then cut it?”
“Well, yes, but he won’t eat it if he sees peanut butter or
jelly bulging between the bread slices.
So, if you cut it first, it works better. Don’t put too much in it either, or it will
ooze when he bites into it, too.”
Now his expression reads, Are you kidding me with this? I smile like what I've just finished explaining is totally normal, because in my world, it totally is.
Twenty minutes later my husband comes upstairs to
change. The boys have been very
quiet. He tells me they’re eating and
watching one of the recorded episodes of Chuggington that are hogging up all
the space on our DVR. I’m glad they
aren’t giving Dad a hard time for once (we’re currently completely entrenched
in the NO! MOMMY DO IT! stage. YAY
me!). As I’m heading back downstairs, my
husband tells me that the Little One didn’t like the ooze-factor of his sandwich,
but that he had successfully convinced him to eat it anyway. Score one for Dad - I'm impressed!
I walk into the kitchen.
“Mommy!” It’s the Little One. As I walk toward him, I notice half his sandwich is gone, but the other half remains untouched. “I not eating dis oder train. Peaner butter is oozin' out.”
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete