Monday, April 22, 2013

Motherhood and a Tinkertoy

Today's post isn't about my little guys, but about a close friend and her son.

I was on the phone with my friend yesterday morning for about twenty minutes.  That's some kind of record by itself.  Usually, as any mom with small children will attest, the best we can do is five minutes before someone is interrupted by a desperate child in need of something.  Desperately.  In the case of my friend and I, it's usually me being interrupted.  Her son is usually pretty sweet and calm, and rarely gets himself too spun up about anything.

Yesterday morning was unusual, as I could hear her little guy in the background, begging for her to find a missing Tinkertoy piece.  It was the piece that would allow him to solve all his Tinkertoy problems.  He could bring the masterpiece rattling around in his head to glorious life!  She had been searching for this missing piece for most of the morning, including a good part of our twenty minute phone chat, to no avail.

Later that day, the Little One, Bean and I went over to their house to hang out and play.  The boys were immediately engrossed with Legos and other toys, and the grown ups sat down to talk.  Kids must sense the minute their mother's butts hit a chair, and automatically assume that because we are sitting down, we are bored and in need of distraction.  Choruses of "Mom! Mom!  I need you to help me!" came from the playroom.  After helping my boys with their Lego crisis, I realize that my friend's son is going on about the missing Tinkertoy again!  That dratted thing is still hiding somewhere.

I offer to help search and we quickly discover that the Tinkertoys and Legos have been mixed up in the SAME BOX!  After sorting it out, the missing piece is...still missing.  The poor 4 year old boy is still a frustrated artist and the angst is starting to wear on his mother's nerves.  I start digging behind furniture in an attempt to help my girlfriend and her aching head.  Voila!  The missing piece!  It is FOUND!

I fold it up in my hand and turn to her son.

"I have a surprise for you!  You're going to be so happy when you see what I have!  But first...I need a little kiss right here," and I present my cheek, tapping it with my index finger.  He giggles and gives me a quick peck before anxiously inspecting the surprise.

"I found the missing Tinkertoy!"  I present it to him triumphantly.His mother and I are both looking at him expectantly, big smiles on our faces.  He picks up the piece, looks it over, shrugs, and chucks it in the box with the other Tinkertoys before wandering off to find something else to play with.

Shock.  Mouths hanging open.  Seriously!?!  After a full day's worth of drama over this, THAT'S his response?

My friend collapses in hysterical laughter on the floor as I lay back and stare at the ceiling.

Yup - sometimes, that's what motherhood is all about.


No comments:

Post a Comment